Share this story:
This means that over half a million people are either living on the street, in a car, or in transitional housing. There are many causes of homelessness including, but not limited to: unemployment, lack of low income housing, low minimum wage, substance abuse, mental illness, and domestic violence. I think homelessness is a serious topic that needs to be talked about more often. I have a family member in Spain who is homeless and I often think about his well being. Since he is so far away it is very hard for my family in the US to get much information about him. I know that is a problem for many people with homeless family members. There tends to be a lot of misconceptions and blame put on homeless people. Although there may be ways to prevent being homeless, it is usually out of the person’s hands. There may be bigger issues happening in their life, like the causes mentioned above.
- What usually goes through your mind when you see a homeless person on the street?
- Do you know anyone that is or has been homeless in the past?
- How do you think the government should help the homeless and/or jobless people?
- What do you think it would be like to suddenly become homeless?
- What do you think can be done to help the homeless?