Founded in 1993 in Berkeley during a period of heightened youth violence and homicide, Youth Radio was established as an outlet for Bay Area youth to process their experiences and provide an alternative perspective to the prevailing media dialogue. In 2007, Youth Radio moved its headquarters to downtown Oakland, helping transform an under-invested part of the city into a world-class center of art, commerce, and culture.
Youth Radio operates bureaus in Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Washington, DC.
- George Foster Peabody Award – 2001, 2011
- Edward R. Murrow Award – 2001, 2005, 2010, 2011
- Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award–2010
- President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities Award – 2012
- Red Cross Heroes Award – 2010
- duPont-Columbia University Award – 2000